Cengage Learning Director, Solution Design in San Francisco, California
The Director of Solution Design is responsible for executing the mission of the Curriculum Solutions team and the goals of the greater Institutional Product team to craft custom curriculum product and service solutions to institutional accounts in both Higher Education and Career markets. The Director of Solution Design must develop and maintain relationships with external clients, internal sales partners, product partners, and technology partners to help drive leads, designing complex, transformative learning solutions that leverage a myriad of options from Cengage Learning and Learning Objects. Key responsibilities include: identifying optimal solutions for clients by looking across product services; presenting professional consultative services to C-Level institutional stakeholders; and planning and executing team, department, and company goals.
This is a high-visibility position requiring an individual with vision, passion, and the presence to work with executives within Cengage Learning, sales partners, as well as college administrators and instructors, who are our customers. You must have a “can-do” attitude and be able to succeed in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and possess excellent analytical skills.
Position Description (Essential Duties & Responsibilities):
Collaborates and plans with Cengage sales, marketing, and others in the organization to provide high quality, innovative curriculum solutions that support company goals.
Works consultatively with key institutional stakeholders and internal technical, product, and services teams to determine optimal curriculum solutions and throughout the business cycle.
Works with sales to qualify targets, validating the long term business value of investing services in an institution.
Stays current on broad market trends and consults with internal and external stakeholders to identify new solutions and strategies to pilot and/or deploy at scale.
Maintains, reviews, and recommends changes to processes/policies/procedures to facilitate the success of the Curriculum Services team.
Stays informed of events/regulations/requirements impacting our markets and trends/best practices/ issues/products and services--both Cengage Learning and third party as they apply to our markets to help inform and optimize solutions.
Completes required training and development, reporting and tracking of projects, budgets, time, etc. as required and necessary to successfully execute responsibilities of the position.
● Master’s degree in instructional design, educational technology, instructional technology, or related discipline
● Five or more years of curriculum development/instructional design for higher education and/or online learning field
● Advanced knowledge of instructional design processes, learning methods, theories, and best practices for classroom and online post-secondary and/or adult populations
● Two years of experience with project planning and scoping, resource allocation and financial analysis
● Significant experience working within a geographically dispersed team
● Travel for internal meetings and for client meetings up to 50%
● Effective, efficient, and appropriate use of Microsoft Office products
● Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical, and presentation skills
● Success with writing and maintaining process and procedures
● Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across functional groups
● Ability to understand/assimilate customer needs and challenges, industry trends and market dynamics and translate them into solutions and/or product offerings that exceed customer expectations and result in a positive ROI
● Exceptional business acumen and strategic thinking; ability to understand market dynamics/trends that affect the sale of Cengage solutions and services
● Demonstrated aptitude and willingness to develop successful customer relationships at the highest level of both corporate and academic institutions
● Two or more years in a leadership role
● Specific experience in developing learning systems for college students in the for-profit and post-secondary channel
● Experience responding to requests for proposals and identifying successful curriculum service solutions
● Demonstrated experience in course development and overcoming associated challenges
● Demonstrated experience in management of multiple, complex projects including application of project management principles
● Proven ability to solve complex problems in a dynamic and schedule-driven environment. Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts in a diplomatic and respectful manner with internal and external associates in ambiguous environments
● Effectively use organizational and planning skills, and supporting tools, with attention to detail and follow through
● Experience with budgeting and budget planning
● Experience with launching innovative learning products for external markets
● Demonstrated proficiency and understanding of commonly used tools for course development including various LMS, web editors, interactivity tools, multi-media platforms, basic HTML, etc.
● Demonstrated interest in professional development in the areas of distance learning, higher education, instructional design, and related
Job Locations US-CA-San Francisco
Posted Date 1 month ago
Requisition ID 2017-3749
Job Function Non Sales/Marketing